We are looking to raise extra money for our next years' officers to travel to E-Fest. Our National Conference was an enriching experience for all that attended and we want as many student members to be able to attend as possible. Your contributions would allow us to alleviate the stress of having students fund their own travel. In addition to helping fund our travel, your contributions would help us continue to host all of our year-round events for the students.
What We Do
The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) has set a purpose to engage, enrich and connect engineering students at OU. We host a variety of events from social events to skills trainings to tech talks to community outreach. We have something valuable for every student. A few of our events are outlined below:
1. Adulting 101: We host workshops to teach students real-work skills to prepare them to be successful once they graduate. Topics of our Adulting 101 series have included information over: filing taxes, building credit, taking out loans, and how to change oil and replace a flat tire.
Adulting 101- Taxes
Adulting 101- Car Stuff
2. CAD Training and Bootcamp: We teach students how to use solid modeling software to design parts, and take those models to create the parts that they have designed. This prepares students to take an active role on the competition teams and as working engineers.
3. Company Talks: We have company representatives come in to give info sessions about their companies. This also gives students the opportunity to network with company representatives.
Textron Aviation Tech Talk
Chevron Tech Talk
4. Community Outreach: We volunteer at Science Olympiad tournaments in the OKC area to help teach elementary through high school kids about science and math. We also have partnered with Sooner Off-Road to travel to elementary schools in the Norman area to teach elementary-age children about the physics of glider airplanes.
Science Olympiad Volunteering
5. Social Events: We also know that it is important to let loose and relax after all of the stress that comes with being an engineering student, so we put on fun social events where students can come hangout with others in their major and make new connections. A few examples of our social events include: pumpkin carving, ornament decorating, sand volleyball tournament, and games night.
6. Attend E-Fest: ASME’s E-Fest is a weekend long conference that the 2018-2019 officer team has had the honor of representing OU at. During this conference, we were able to network with company representatives, compete in engineering competitions, and gain valuable knowledge for improvements that can be made on our current OU Chapter of ASME.
E-Fest Officer Team
Matthew Muhlinghause- 1st Place and Technical Winner of Old Guard Oral Competition
Even though our group has “Mechanical Engineering” in the title, we are welcoming to students of all majors, and hold events that are useful for all engineering students alike.